The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Monday 6 August 2012

The Ultimate Hoax

To celebrate Penny's few days in the week visiting Southend, a place very close to my heart, I played a couple of songs from Southend bands. The music scene in Southend was, (and I hope still is) almost as vibrant as Nottingham and I was proud to be a part of it.

I also managed to deliver a hoax bit of information dressed up as fact, that fooled the entire nation, and possibly the world as nobody contacted the show to say that they had spotted it*. As radio moments go, this is on a par with Orson Wells in 1938.

9pm-10pm
Brian Fahey 'At The Sign Of The Swinging Cymbals'
George Formby 'The Ace Of Spades'
Motorhead 'Ace Of Spades'
David Bowie 'Sell Me A Coat'
David Bowie and The Lower Third 'Can't Help Thinking About You'
(the above two songs played in absence of Steve's Big Bag Full Of Bowie this week)
Toots And The Maytalls '54-46 Was My Number' (I also played a snippet of 'Street Tuff' by Rebel MC to demonstrate the sample)
Bob Marley And The Wailers 'I Shot The Sheriff'
The Cure 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
Joanna Newsome 'Cosmia'
Breadchasers 'Things Will Be Better'
Eddie And The Hot Rods 'Teenage Depression'
Dr Feelgood 'Milk and Alcohol'
Flock of Seagulls 'I Ran' (This week's Dad Rock Classic)

10pm-11pm
Max Miller and Lonnie Donegan (a song that I can't think of the title of)
Wedding Present 'Interstate 5'
Richard Cheese 'Welcome To The Jungle' (played to plug the documentary about Appetite For Destruction coming up after the news)
Lonnie Donegan 'Cumberland Bap' (played a snippet to illustrate a joke)
Morrissey 'First Of The Gang To Die'
Half Man Half Biscuit '24 Hour Garage People'
Bill Hayley And The Comets 'Rock Around The Clock'
Bill Hayley And The Saddlemen 'Rock This Joint' (played both together to illustrate how the two songs are identical)

PENNY'S BLUEGRASS JAMBOREE:
Willie Nelson 'He Was A Friend Of Mine'
Dailey And Vincent 'On The Other Side'
Mindy Smith 'One Moment More'
(Penny's Bluegrass Jamboree was squeezed in this hour because we are only doing two hours)
Redbear 'Song For The Unknown Bear'
Dan Le Sac and Scoobius Pip 'Letter From God To Man'

NOTTINGHAM THREE:
The Golden Troubadour 'Sunshine Eyes'
Tom Wardle 'California Here I Come'
The Money 'Star'

(The show was followed by my 25th anniversary celebration of Appetite For Destruction. You can hear it here).

*I played a spoof recording at the start of the show, apparently George Formby singing 'Ace Of Spades'. As I always start with a music hall song, I think I got away with it, as the listeners expect to hear that sort of thing. I then played the Motorhead version and announced that it came from an album called Metal Does Music Hall, and that the Formby version was the original. Listeners were informed that the album was long out of print, but that they could see Deep Purple's cover of 'Boiled Beef And Carrots' on YouTube. Not one single person got it!