The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Monday 2 January 2012

Happy New Year

My first show of 2012 was a solo affair, Chris Underwood was at a party and Erik Petersen had taken the drastic step of leaving the country to avoid co-presenting duties, having given some bollocks about going home for Christmas.

I continued the Christmas number one countdown, which was a mistake that I had committed to. The first half of this countdown on the last show featured some good music among the not so good, this show showed that the not so good overruled during the 1980s and 1990s.

The Sunday Alternative will return to normal service next week, and the unsigned bands, alternative classics, indie hits, rarities and general John Peel-ish credibility will eventually wash away the memories of the Christmas show when I played The Spice Girls.

Mud 'Lonely This Christmas' (1974)
Queen 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (1975)
Johnny Mathis 'When A Child Is Born' (1976)
Wings 'Mull Of Kintyre' (1977)
Boney M 'Mary's Boy Child' (1978)
Pink Floyd 'Another Brick In The Wall' (1979)
St Winifred's School Choir 'There's No One Quite Like Grandma' (1980)
The Human League 'Don't You Want Me?' (1981)
Renee And Renato 'Save Your Love' (1982)
The Flying Pickets 'Only You' (1983)
Band Aid 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' (1984)
Shakin' Stevens 'Merry Christmas Everyone' (1985)
Jackie Wilson 'Reet Petite' (1986)
The Pet Shop Boys 'Always On My Mind' (1987)
Cliff Richard 'Mistletoe And Wine' (1988)
Whitney Houston 'I Will Always Love You' (1992) (I skipped a few really bad years)
Mr Blobby 'Mr Blobby' (1993)
East 17 'Stay Another Day' (1994)
Spice Girls '2 Become 1' (1996)
Spice Girls 'Too Much' (1997)
Spice Girls 'Goodbye' (1998)
Westlife 'I Have A Dream' (1999)
Bob The Builder 'Can We Fix It?' (2000)
Robbie Williams And Nicole Kidman 'Somethin' Stupid' (2001)

I gave up at this point, although I played Tears For Fears original version of 'Mad World' (Christmas number one for Michael Andrews and Gary Jules in 2003) and Jeff Buckley's version of 'Hallelujah', which was criminally covered by Alexandra Burke and was Christmas number one in 2008. The show ended without me saying goodbye, as I perfectly timed the 2009 Christmas number one, Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' to fade out for the news just before the "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me" bit.