The Sunday Alternative is a free podcast made for the love of discovering and sharing new music. I do it for free and am happy to do so. However, if you have enjoyed it then please do consider making a donation using this PayPal button. This will enable me to continue with this podcast and also to make other free entertainment, both in the fields of music and comedy, which I will make freely available online.

There is of course no obligation, but many thanks in advance if you do.

If everyone who hit this podcast paid one pound a month it would make a massive difference.

Monday 30 April 2012

Sugar Rush Birthday Girl

Tonight we were wearing our oldest music t-shirts, mine used to be black of course. It dates from 1999 I think, and was given to me by John Otway himself, who is a casual acquaintance of mine. How's that for name-dropping?

I didn't have a good start to proceedings today, as (and here is our little secret), the final hour of the show is pre-recorded. Now we broadcast until midnight, but Andy the boss isn't willing to wait until midnight for us to do the show live, and he doesn't trust anyone to lock up. Obviously we'd prefer to do the whole show live, but at least we have a three hour show now. Penny was running late due to her birthday celebrations, so I did the pre-recorded show by myself. It was weird having to pretend it was now just after the eleven o'clock news, and I didn't explain Penny's absence in case she appeared at any time. As the 'live' section of the show finished just before the eleven o'clock news, we made a point of saying that Penny had to leave early because of catching a bus.

The show wasn't a smooth one by any means, I was already stressed out because I couldn't get in the pre-record studio straight away. There were minutes between finishing that and starting the live show at nine. I like to have a coffee and a think before the show, but I had to go straight in without any real preparation. We had the first section lined up of course, but it took us both a while to relax into the show. Penny was disoriented from some rather heroic birthday partying, and even slipped up and said "fuck" on air, which we glossed over with good humour. I'm amazed I've never dropped that clanger myself, as I am a naturally sweary person in casual conversation. As good as the show sounded, we were both doing it like ducks; smooth and calm on the surface, but flapping around underneath.

That's not to say we didn't enjoy it, I can't speak for Penny but I thought it was a brilliant piece of radio that I can't wait to hear again. Having Penny there has made a hell of a difference to the show, and I am looking forward to a long and successful partnership (professionally of course) with her.

We played the usual high quality musical offerings too:

9pm-10pm
Altered Images 'Happy Birthday' (for Penny's birthday)
The Flying Burrito Brothers 'Dark End Of The Street' (played in tribute to Chris Etheridge)

'At The Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal' (the talk-over intro)

Lily Morris 'Waiting At The Church' (music hall opener)
Sex Pistols 'God Save The Queen'
The Carpenters 'Rainbow Connection'
Since Monroe 'DJ'
The Wonder Stuff 'Blackberry Way'
Paul Curtis 'Nottingham Song'
Mike and Bernie Winters 'Batman' (played as part of Nottingham's Batman connection)
The Jam 'Batman'
Stevie Wonder 'Signed Sealed Delivered, I'm Yours'
Beck 'Loser'
Johnny Cash 'Rock Island Line'
Queen 'Hammer To Fall'
Run DMC and Aerosmith 'Walk This Way' (this week's 'dad rocker')

Hip hop style posing from Daniel and myself, no idea why this seemed like a good idea. We seem to be making a definite point of keeping our bottoms as far away from each other as possible.

10pm-11pm
Morcambe and Wise 'Bring Me Sunshine'
Faith No More 'The Real Thing'
LL Cool J 'I Need Love'
Ian Dury and the Blockheads 'Reasons To Be Cheerful Part Three'
Yunioshi 'Believe It'
You Slut! 'My Bloody Jesus Explorer On Fire'
Patti Smith 'Until The End Of The World'

Louie Smells Like Rock and Roll:
Paul Revere and the Raiders 'Louie Louie'
Luka 'Smells Like teen Spirit'
Paperbox 'I Love Rock and Roll'

11pm-12am (Just me for this bit)
Alexei Sayle 'Allo John, Gotta New Motor?'
De Heiderjoosies 'Wannabe'
Lenny Kravitz 'Are You Gonna Go My Way?' (acoustic blues version)
Laurel and Hardy 'Johnny Won The Lottery'
The Lucky Strikes 'Beast Burnt Down'
Golden Troubadours 'Silent Revolution'
The Raid 'Heads or Tails'
We Show Up On Radar 'I'll Be A Ghost'
Wholesome Fish 'Reubens Train'
Rapunzel MAP 'Hologram Girl' (a familiar name for Trent Sound listeners, as she co-presents Nottingham LACE in addition to her singing career).
Jake Morley 'Sideline'
The Wonder Stuff 'Save It For Later'
Fresh Eyes For The Dead Guy 'The Shape Of Bruno Brookes'
Bow Wow Wow 'C30 C60 C90 Go!'